On August 15, the city of Arequipa will celebrate its foundation, an event that took place back in 1540. The festivities are already well underway, but there are plenty more events scheduled throughout the month. Here are some forthcoming highlights:
- August 13 -- Arequipeño Music Concert (Plazoleta Campo Redondo, San Lázaro District; 6 pm)
- August 14 -- Entrada de Ccapo: The Entrance of the Ccapo is an Arequipeña custom in which donkeys carry dry brush or shrubs from the surrounding area to be burned in the main square on the eve of the anniversary. Musicians and dancers accompany the passage, which runs from 3 pm to 5 pm.
- August 15 -- Corso de la Amistad (Friendship Parade): The main parade on the day of Arequipa's anniversary, which passes through a number of the city's main streets.
- August 16 to 18 -- Festival Internacional de Danzas Folkloricas (Festidanza): An international folkloric dance festival held in the Coliseo Arequipa.
- August 19 -- Traditional bullfights for the anniversary championship (Campo Azufral de Zamacola).
- August 19 -- Regional Music Festival (Palacio de Bellas Artes Mario Vargas Llosa; 6 pm).
- August 30 to September 1 -- "Flavors of Arequipa" Gastronomic Festival (Palacio de Bellas Artes Mario Vargas Llosa).
A complete schedule (Spanish only) is available at www.turismoperu.info: Calendario de Festividades del 472° Aniversario de Arequipa.
For more events this month, see Peru in August.
Photo © karlnorling, flickr.com.