Plan Your Trip to Peru
By Tony Dunnell
Before You Go
Find out what you need to do before going to Peru, including visa information, packing tips and travel vaccinations.
- Top 10 Reasons to Visit Peru
- Before You Go to Peru
- Vaccinations for Peru
- Classic Peru Itinerary
- Register Your Trip to Peru
- Can I Travel to Peru With a Criminal Record?
- Daily Budget for Traveling in Peru
- Peru Travel Guidebooks
- Free and Low-Cost Volunteer Programs in Peru
Visas, Customs and Border Crossings
Find out what kind of visa you need for Peru (probably a simple Tarjeta Andina de Migración), as well as customs regulations and border crossing information.
- Do You Need a Tourist Visa for Peru?
- Different Types of Temporary and Resident Visas for Peru
- How to Fill Out the Tarjeta Andina
- How to Get a Replacement Tarjeta Andina
- Peru Tourist Visa Extensions (TAM)
- The Peru Visa Overstay Fine
- Can I Work in Peru as a Tourist?
- Peruvian Customs Regulations
- Peru Border Crossing Basics
Peru Travel Basics
Getting to grips with the simple things can make a huge difference when you arrive in Peru. Help make your Peruvian adventure hassle-free with these general tips for traveling in Peru.
- Tips for Traveling in Peru on a Budget
- A Guide to Tipping in Peru
- The Art of Haggling in Peru
- Peruvian Greetings and Introductions
- Peruvian Currency Guide
Getting Around Peru
Getting around Peru is an adventure in itself, whether you're traveling by air, land or water. Find out how to travel in Peru using everything from modern airlines and luxury buses to riverboats and mototaxis.
- Types of Public Transport in Peru
- Domestic Airlines in Peru
- Airports in Peru
- Guide to Lima Airport
- Traveling in Peru by Bus
- 10 Tips for Long Distance Bus Travel in Peru
- How Much Is a Bus From Lima to Cusco?
- Cruz del Sur Bus Company
- Ormeño Peru Bus Company
- Peru Hop Bus Service
- Taxis in Peru
- Mototaxis in Peru
- Trains in Peru
- Trains to Machu Picchu
- The Lima Metropolitano
- Longitudinal Highways in Peru
- Transverse Roads in Peru
- Peru Traffic Signs and Road Markings
- Hitchhiking in Peru
Where to Stay in Peru
Peru has accommodation options to suit all budgets and all styles of travel, from luxury jungle lodges to backpacker hostels.
- Types of Accommodation in Peru
- Booking Hotels in Peru
- Renting Rooms and Apartments in Peru
- The Best Historic Hotels in Cusco
- Solis Dies Hotel, Miraflores
- Friend’s House Hostel, Miraflores
- Hotel Colonial in Trujillo
- La Hacienda Hotel in Trujillo
- Hotel Nilas, Tarapoto
- Las Casitas del Colca in Peru
Peru has a huge range of regional dishes and interesting drinks, but deciphering the menu can be a little tricky. If you don't know a lomo saltado from a causa rellena, it's time to learn the lingo...
- Meals and Mealtimes in Peru
- Breakfast in Peru
- Lunch in Peru
- How Much Does it Cost to Eat Out in Peru?
- Savory Snacks in Peru
- Cancha: Peruvian Toasted Corn
- Peruvian Purple Corn
- Peruvian Food
- Ceviche 101
- The Everything Peruvian Cookbook
- Gastón Acurio, Peruvian Super Chef
- Inca Kola
- Beer in Peru
- From Grape to Glass With Pisco Porton
- Cusqueña Beer
- What is the Legal Drinking Age in Peru?
Health and Safety
Peru is not a dangerous country to visit, but all nations have their potential pitfalls. Find out how to stay safe when you're on the road in Peru.
- Vaccinations for Peru
- Malaria in Peru
- Yellow Fever in Peru
- Dengue Fever in Peru
- Prevent Mosquito Bites in Peru
- Rabies in Peru
- Altitude Sickness in Peru
- Can You Drink Tap Water in Peru?
- Natural Hazards in Peru
- Opportunistic Theft in Peru
- Swindles and Scams in Peru
- Traffic Jam Thieves in Peru
- Telephone Scams From Peru
- The Peruvian Tourist Police
- Emergency Phone Numbers in Peru
- Latest Peru Travel Warnings, Alerts and Advisories
Maps and Geography of Peru
Get to know the lay of the land with our maps of Peru and general geographical information.